Monday, July 22, 2013

Fireflies and Cornfields and Roadkill, OH MY!



First things first. My address is Carmel, IN 46032. The mission home was pretty crazy with 40 people trying to be there. The Elders all slept in the basement on little mattress pads on the floor. We Sisters had it cushy in the real beds upstairs. In fact all the Sisters get it easy. We have a full time car to ourselves but a lot of the Elders have to share their cars.
At the transfer meeting, I saw Elder Combs that I went to high school with. My companion has been out 6 months and this is her third time training. There are just so many new missionaries that a lot are training greenies as soon as they've been out for 3 months. My companion is Sister Hansen from Provo. We get along just fine. We live with another set of Sisters too that are the Sister Training Leaders. 
We got whitewashed. Our half of the area has't been worked in for a year. So we have exactly 0 investigators. So we've been doing a lot of tracting. I'm sure that will make Ryan happy to know that I'll be knocking on plenty of doors. The people are all pretty nice but they are devout to their own denominations and aren't interested in change. I don't want to waste any time I have here and really since I'm not using Spanish there's really no excuse to be timid. So I've been as bold as I can. I've given away 2 copies of the Book of Mormon but other than that we haven't really found anybody to teach yet. And the 2 people we did find don't live in our area so we have to pass them on to other missionaries.
Our ward is really getting on board with missionary work so that's exciting. Hopefully if the ward is helping we'll be able to get some investigators. We have the members sign up to everyday so we can teach them. That's to help us practice and help us get to know the ward so that we can hopefully get referrals out of them! Everyone is really nice! Our ward actually has 10 full time missionaries. Us, the Elders that split the area with us, a senior couple, the AP's and the Mission President and His wife. So that will be fun to get to work closely with President and Sister Cleveland. They're just great. President Cleveland is definitely a college coach. He's extremely motivating and builds team unity!
I won't have a chance to speak a lick of Spanish. I could not be in a whiter area. I have language study for an hour but it's just not the same. I do get to keep wearing my Spanish tag though. It will be interesting to see how long I'm here but until then I'll work hard here.
Elder Holland is coming in August to rearrange the stake presidency so I'm excited for that.
We live in Carmel, Indiana right off the Arts District. It's the cutest little street with statues all up and down the street. There are a million round-abouts or roaderies here. There's one at every other intersection. Like I said, we have a full time car and only walk when we're tracting. The difference between here and Salta will be night and day!
I already have a bunch of bug bites. Bed bugs are a problem here too, I guess, but I don't think our beds have them. I've finally seen fireflies! They're so cool. I get to check that off my bucket list. I've seen cornfields, the Colt's stadium, lots of roadkill and a Steak n Shake so I guess you could say I've experienced Indiana! We actually drove through Indianapolis on our way home from the airport so that was cool.
I defintely think about home less. There's just too much to do. Hopefully by next week we'll have found someone we can teach!
I love you all!
Sister Pearson


Dear Friends and Family,

We have a friend serving in another mission who indicated that in her mission they discontinued a mission blog at the direction of general authorities because people were finding out where their investigators lived and harassing them until they stopped meeting with the missionaries.  For this reason, I have removed Sister Pearson's address.  We received a letter from President Cleveland telling us to send mail directly to her address, especially packages, since packages cannot be forwarded due to postal regulations.  Therefore, if you want to send something directly to Emily please contact us and we will provide you with her address.


Thanks,


Carol Pearson

With President and Sister Cleveland

No comments:

Post a Comment