Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Mystery Man: Mattias the Faithful

Well this whole week Carlos was a star and was just excited to get baptized. On Monday, he brought us his own white pants! 

Matias, that's another story. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, he just kept saying that he wasn't sure and he wasn't gonna get baptized the 6th. We did all the visits with his new best friend Eduardo but nothing seemed to help. Not even the fact that the nickname we gave him was Matias the Faithful because he goes to church more than the members.Then on Wednesday after the lesson, we had Oscar with us too and they talked outside for 2 minutes. When we got outside Oscar said "He's gonna get baptized the 6th." I asked Matias if it was true and he said yes. As if he had been cooperative the whole time. I told him not to joke around about it and he said he wasn't joking. Nevertheless I was a bit nervous that he wouldn't show up for his interview. But he did. On Saturday I was worried that he wouldn't show up for the baptism, but he did. (Both he and Carlos got there at 4 on the dot.) Well when we gave him the clothes to change he said, "I'm not gonna get baptized." uuhhhh. We prayed like crazy. Eduardo tried to talk to him but he just said he didn't want to do it. I could tell he was SUPER nervous and anxious and tried to help him calm down but he just said I made him more nervous. So he went outside with Oscar for 2 minutes and when they came back in he asked for the clothes. His condition was that he didn't want us to watch the baptism. So Carlos got baptized first and then we went inside and Matias got baptized. Well of course we spied. We climbed on the kitchen counter and watched through a small window. I can't even explain the feeling of spying on Matias's baptism. He is the most shy, timid, funny guy. hahaha oh Matias. We just tried to have faith that he'd get baptized because we knew he was ready. And God made it all work out. 

If ya'll remember, we were searching for the member that invited Matias,"Pablo" well after searching high and low, Oscar told us that Pablo doesn't exist! Matias just saw us one day and decided to go to church with us. Matias is SUCH a mystery. 

We taught Nestor Torres about prayer and how we should do family prayers. He said he'd really like to and we invited him to gather his family. He came back with only his granddaughter but then his inactive daughter and non member son-in-law came in and we all prayed together. It was soo sweet! After Adriana said it was their 29th aniversary. They want to be sealed in the temple for their 30th! 

Well I won't be able to send pictures because my camara cord is packed away in my suitcase...I had to leave Bella Vista. I thought I'd cry because I've really come to love Bella Vista just as much as El Carmen. But I barely even teared up. I think it's because I'm not going far. I'm staying in Tucuman in Tafí Viejo. And I think I'll be able to visit Bella Vista at least once because I'll be going on exchanges every week with the hermanas in the 3 closest zones which will include Bella Vista. So that should mean that I can visit my loved ones one last time!

I certainly left Bella Vista with a big bang. Monday we visited a buffalo farm (with Matias and Eduardo). Saturday we had 2 baptisms. On Sunday after his confirmation, we ate asado with Familia Toledo (Eduardo invited Matias) and then in the evening Matias did visits with us and Eduardo. Best thing ever! (Even though he didn't even talk.)  We just are missing Fernanda. She's still got to get baptized. She has a lot of trials she's facing but I know she'll get baptized in the near future. Eduardo was able to give her a priesthood blessing last night and it was so peaceful and powerful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment